The Machine Shop is located in the sub-basement of the Department of Chemistry (1101 University Ave.), in Room S315.
It can be difficult to find the Machine Shop as not all of the elevators and stairways go to the sub-basement. To get to the shop, go to the middle section of the Mathews/Daniels wing of the Chemistry Building, where there are three elevators. When facing the elevators, the one to the left has a button labeled SB, which will take you to the sub-basement. The stairway near this elevator also goes to the sub-basement.
- 2 full-time advanced instrument makers
- 2 CNC mills, 1 CNC lathe, and various manual machines
- Design consultation and drawing assistance
- Precision machining of instruments and components, fixtures, sample holders, reaction chambers, optical mounts, etc.
- Large inventory of common materials, hardware, and tools
- Assistance in specifying, locating, and ordering custom or uncommon materials and hardware
- Assistance in specifying, contracting, and shipping for secondary out-of-house processes (anodizing, heat treating, coating, plating, etc.)
- Ultra-high vacuum welding and fabrication
- General fabrication and welding, brackets, mounts, chambers, etc.
- Custom machined fittings and connections for gas, liquid, and vacuum applications
- Vacuum pump service and repair
- Student Shop with manual milling and turning machines, sheet metal equipment, hand tools, etc. Instruction and assistance provided as needed.
- Sonic Mill abrasive drilling and machining of ceramics, glasses, etc.